What Do I Need To Apply to the Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology?

  1. Application materials and a check for $70 to cover the application fee
  2. Official transcripts from each graduate and undergraduate institution attended. Can be sent electronically or mailed in a sealed envelope. Electronically to (recommended)  
  3. Three Letters of Recommendation must be sent electronically. 
  4. A Personal Statement Must be sent electronically.
  5. Prerequisite courses in psychology (see below)
  6. Resume Must be sent electronically.

The application, fee, and other materials must be submitted together, clearly marked with the program of application, to the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 56 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8541.  Please review their website at:

What prerequisites are required to apply to the Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology?

Students entering the programs at the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology do not need to major in psychology, but they are generally expected to have taken the main courses for an undergraduate major in the field. Before entering the program, students must have taken courses covering the following areas: 

  1. Introductory Psychology
  2. Statistics
  3. Abnormal Psychology
  4. Biological Bases of Psychology

Students also should have taken at least one and preferably two courses in the following areas:

  1. Cognitive Psychology
  2. Psychology of Perception
  3. Conditioning and Learning
  4. Developmental Psychology
  5. Psychology of Personality
  6. Social Psychology

It is preferred that one of the above-listed courses has a laboratory component. Applications are welcome from Rutgers students who are properly prepared with good academic records and references!

When is your application deadline?

December 1st for the following fall semester. We do not admit in the spring semester.

Do I have to take the GRE?

Clinical & School Psychology PsyD program will NOT require the general nor Psychology GRE for 2023 admissions process (incoming class of 2023-2024). GRE's are not required, even though the catalog still lists them as a requirement.

What is the GRE Institution Code for Rutgers University?

Clinical & School Psychology PsyD program will NOT require the general nor Psychology GRE for 2023 admissions process (incoming class of 2023-2024)


The Institution Code for Rutgers University is 2790.

Do I have to send all my documents together?


When will I find out if I am accepted?

By April 1.

Do you have a part time program?


Is it possible to work and go to school?

No, not a full-time job.

Do you accept transfer credits?

Yes, a maximum of 30 credits may be transferred - See School Psych Students Entering with Prior Graduate Education 

Do you offer a PhD?

No, only a PsyD.

Do you have a distance learning program?


What is financial aid?

Financial aid is the money students receive from federal, state, local, and private programs to help meet the expenses (tuition, fees, books, equipment, supplies, room, board, transportation, and personal expenses) needed to attend college. Financial aid programs provide funds to students who would be unable to attend college without such help. 

What types of financial aid are available?

There are three basic types of financial aid 1) student loans, 2) grants/scholarships, and 3) work-study employment: With loans, students must repay all student loans. Grants and scholarships are awarded based on financial need and academic merit and do not need to be repaid. Grants and scholarships are limited resources and students are encouraged to research their options on-line or at their public library. See for the largest free scholarship search available on the Internet. As a participant in the Federal Work-study program, students are employed in part-time jobs both on and off-campus. What types of student loans are available?

How do I apply for financial aid?

The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), along with any additional documents required by the school. 

Where can I get the FAFSA from?

The FAFSA can be completed on line at

How do I become eligible for financial aid?


You must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident. You must be enrolled at least half-time (six units) for each trimester in which you are requesting financial aid. You must not be in default on any previous federal loans. You must be registered with the Selective Service if you are a male unless you were born before 1960. You must also be making satisfactory progress.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You should complete your FAFSA as soon as the forms are available for the upcoming year. However, you will need to have information from your income tax return available to complete the FAFSA.The FAFSA form cannot be filled out prior to January 1.

How much money can I borrow through the Stafford program?

Graduate students can borrow up to $31,000 per year through the Federal Stafford loan program. These loans come in two types: subsidized and unsubsidized loans. For a subsidized loan, the U.S government pays the interest during the period you are in school. (This portion is need based; if you do not qualify for the subsidized it will all become unsubsidized). Once you enter repayment, you will be responsible for the interest. For an unsubsidized loan, you are responsible for the interest accrued while you are in school. You can choose to pay the interest or you can choose to capitalize the interest. Capitalization is the process by which the accrued interest becomes part of the capital or principal amount of your original loan.

When do I begin repaying my loans?

After you graduate, leave school or enroll less than half-time, you'll have a six-month grace period before your first loan payment is due. Typically, you'll have up to 10 years to repay depending on the amount borrowed.

What types of financial aid are available if I am an International student?

International students are encouraged to contact our financial aid office directly to learn more about these loans. In general, lenders offer funds to foreign graduate students enrolled in U.S. colleges and universities. Typically, all international applicants, except for Canadians, must provide a U.S. citizen as a co-borrower. Variable interest rates and fees apply.