There are many challenges that new and returning college students face. Often, social and peer-related forms of support can serve as a buffer against the normal stressors students may experience. Therefore, the College Support Program (CSP) operates a Peer Mentor program to support undergraduate students on the autism spectrum who are currently attending Rutgers University. CSP Peer Mentors will be trained, and will engage with CSP students, staff, and other Peer Mentors regularly. They are a critical part of our program!
The CSP areas of focus are to:
- Ease the student's transition to college life
- Assist students in becoming more independent, confident individuals
- Facilitate the development of a social support system, communication and independent living skills
- Decrease isolation/separation in a university environment
- Provide useful and immediate feedback leading to improvements in personal relationships
A CSP Peer Mentor is expected to:
- Provide support
- Be a good role model- socially and academically
- Be patient and consistent
- Praise students' efforts and good performance
- Meet weekly with student(s) and stay in touch via phone and email
- Maintain regular contact with the CSP Coordinators
- Attend a mandatory monthly training meeting (may be virtual in light of COVID-19)
- Complete and submit weekly reports to the CSP Coordinators, recording activities and hours spent with student-match(es)
- Attend at least one mandatory CSP social event/month (may include being a virtual host during COVID-19)
- Assist with academic development
- Share critical knowledge/personal experiences
- Assist with contacting campus clubs/programs, facilities, services
- Assist with introductory sessions for new or prospective students and families
- Assist with presentations about the CSP
We are currently at capacity for accepting new CSP Peer Mentor applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. If you are a Rutgers University student (non first-year or second-semester senior) and interested in becoming a CSP Peer Mentor, please complete this application . You will be notified on a first come, first served basis as openings become available, to arrange a virtual interview with a CSP Coordinator.
Thank you very much. You will hear from a CSP Team Member soon!