- Unless faculty informs you otherwise, papers are to be written in APA style. In writing papers remember these points to ensure academic integrity:
- If you cite someone else's ideas, in that person's own words, you must put quotation marks around the words and indicate where they came from.
- If you cite someone else's ideas, in your own words, you must indicate where the ideas came from.
- Changing a word or two in someone else's sentences is not appropriate when presenting the ideas and words as your own.
- The University Code of Academic Integrity
Since adherence to a code of conduct can be seen as a function of socialization into the group whose norms are reflected in such a code, culpability may be assessed differentially for those with more and less experience as members of the academic community; thus, violations of academic integrity by graduate students will presumably be penalized more severely than violations by first semester undergraduate students.