Opportunities for financial aid for full-time students are available on a limited and variable basis through the University Financial Aid Office (in Records Hall on the College Avenue campus).  It is not possible to offer support to all students.

Rutgers participates in a program to implement the Federal Direct Student Loan program (FDSL).  Eliminating banks and loan agencies; thus it grants loans from federal funds directly to students who qualify.
All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available online at  If you anticipate a need for aid, file a FAFSA form; this does not commit you in any way but will expedite your request in the event that you do need additional funds.

The FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible after January 1, but no later than March 1 to ensure full consideration for available funds for the next fall semester.
Also by filing the FAFSA, graduate students are considered for the following aid programs:

  • Federal Work-Study Program
  • New Jersey State Grant (NJ residents only)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct Student Loan                                         

Additional information about each of these aid programs can be found in the GSAPP catalog.

Rutgers University's federal code number that must be entered on the FAFSA form is #002629.

It is your responsibility to inform the Office of Financial Aid (not the federal processor or the New Jersey Office of Student Assistance) of any change in information.  You should immediately mail a signed copy of the 1040 forms to the Office of Financial Aid.  Include a brief note that explains why you are mailing in the 1040.  Be sure to include your name and social security number in the note.

You will receive your fall term bill via email sometime in early July.  Payment is due usually during the first week of August.  Look very carefully at your term bill.  Printed in your term bill will be the creditable amount of your financial aid for the fall semester.  Please note that Federal Work Study is not creditable aid towards your tuition payment.  Compare the figures on your Financial Aid Award Offer to the figures on the term bill.  They should match.  If the total aid is less than the total term bill charges, it is your responsibility to pay the difference.  If your financial aid is greater than the term bill charges, you do not owe any money.  However, you must still complete the term bill process.  Enter $0 in the section - Amount Submitted, and mail in your term bill.  Failure to complete the term bill process will cancel your registration for the semester.  You must complete the FAFSA for every year that you would like to be considered for financial aid – no later than March 15th.

Student Accounting Office: New Brunswick, Graduate schools....848-932-2254. 
Cashier's Offices: All Graduate schools, Records Hall - Room 138, College Ave. Campus

The Federal Direct Student Loan aggregate amount for graduate students  varies from year to year.  The aggregate amount of additional unsubsidized Federal Direct Student loan for graduate students varies from year to year. 

Your Federal Direct Student Loan will show as a financial aid credit on your university term bill.  Term bills are online only. 

Remember even if your aid credits are greater than the amount of your bill, you must still submit the term bill to the Cashier's Office in order to become registered.

NOTE: Students who are on full-time internships or working full-time on their dissertations and who are asking for deferments for student loans must register and promptly pay tuition bills so that the financial aid office can verify their status when deferring their loans.  GSAPP letters are not sufficient.

  1.  If you feel you need to appeal your financial aid award, you may appeal the decision by making an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor; bring with you a letter of appeal.  The counselor may then send your letter to the Appeals Committee, which will consider the new facts you are bringing to their attention.

    All full-time graduate students are assumed to need a total of $18k, more or less, with the following breakdown of expenses: Room and Board, Books, Travel, Miscellaneous, + tuition and fees.
    But you probably have additional expenses which financial aid may not consider unless you appeal your award or include it in your original application:

    • GSAPP students must have a reliable car to get to practicum placements and off-campus supervision and classes: costs of maintenance, repairs, insurance, and mileage.
    • Professional placements require professional clothing, (cost of purchase as well as cleaning and laundry bills), grooming expenses.
    • Computer, with appropriate software and peripherals.
    • The school encourages therapy for students; even though you will probably be charged at professional courtesy rates, it still adds up.
    • Travel to internship sites for interviews in the year in which you are applying for internship.
    • Additional health costs, if any.
  2. International Students: International students who are permanent United States residents and have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-551), or a Departure Record (I-94) from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations are classified as eligible non-citizens for the purpose of receiving federal and state financial assistance; (1) Refugee, (2) Asylum Granted, (3) Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole, or (4) Cuban-Haitian Entrant.  International students with an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1, J2 or G series visa are ineligible for financial aid.           
  3. University Emergency Loans: Students who are experiencing a financial emergency may apply for a university loan from the Financial Aid Office for up to $500.  The interest rate is 3 percent simple, and the loan must be repaid within the same semester.  An emergency need must be demonstrated and funds must be available.   Students should contact their local financial aid office for additional information.  If loans in excess of this amount are required, an appointment with a counselor is recommended to discuss long-term assistance.  Students do not need to be recipients of financial aid nor have filed a financial aid application to be considered for emergency loans.


  1. Veteran's Benefits: The United States Veterans Administration operates various education assistance programs for eligible veterans, war orphans, surviving spouse or child of any veteran killed while on duty with the Armed Forces, disabled veterans, dependents of a veteran with service-related total disability, and certain members of the selected reserve.  Inquiries concerning eligibility may be directed to the Veterans Administration office in Newark, New Jersey (telephone 1-888-442-4551) or to the veteran's coordinator on each campus.  For New Brunswick, the number is (848)445-2104.
    Veterans and others mentioned above who plan to utilize veteran's education benefits should initially present the Veterans Administration Certificate of Eligibility Form(s) and/or discharge papers (certified copy of the DD214) when registering for courses.
  2. Paid Practicum Placements: Advanced students in GSAPP may receive stipends for practicum work depending upon the agency, the student's experience, and financial need.  This is determined immediately prior to or during the student's first term at the school.
  3. Federal Work Study Program (FWSP): Application is made by filing a FAFSA form.  Selection for a particular job is based on skills, university needs, and student preference.  The student is offered a position within the University and is expected to work a certain number of hours per week. Work-study funds may be used to pay you for professional work in the Psychological Clinic or for an off-campus community practicum.  Speak with the Director of Practicum Placement.  Work Study time may also be accepted for a variety of services at GSAPP, which may be scheduled between classes or at your convenience.   Contact financial aid office 848 932-7057. 3.         


  1. Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF): A maximum of $2,500 per year may be awarded to full-time students, NJ residents, who can demonstrate backgrounds of historical family poverty.  Students who received EOF as undergraduates are presumed eligible.  Complete a FAFSA, attaching a written statement of your eligibility.

    Full time students who are NJ residents and who can demonstrate backgrounds of financial and academic hardship are eligible for grants ranging from $200 to $2,500.  Grants are renewable for the duration of the student's degree work.  Students must complete the FAFSA form.

  2. NJ Fund for Graduate and Professional Schools: provides grants for full-time students who are NJ residents with proven financial need.  Amounts vary from $200 to $1,000 yearly, depending upon available funds.  Grants are renewable.  Complete and submit a FAFSA application.  You cannot receive both this and EOF.  The deadline for completing financial aid forms for continuing students for both EOF and NJ State Grant is March 15.  If you have not already submitted a FAFSA form, we urge you to do so immediately.
  3. Bunche Scholarship ( $15,000 plus tuition); Graduate and Professional Scholar Merit Awards (varying amounts); Cooper Fellowships (varying amounts); Alumni Scholarship ($13,000).  None pay for summer courses.
  4. Diversity Advancement Placement (DAP) in Teaching and Research awards support to African American, Hispanic, or American Indian students.  Stipends in varying amounts.
  5. American Psychological Association Diversity Fellowship Program:
    This program is funded jointly by the National Institute of Mental Health and the American Psychological Association.  It is available to beginning or continuing graduate minority students in programs leading to the doctorate.  Students should apply to the American Psychological Association, 750 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242 (202/336-6027). 

Restrictions on Financial Support and Employment
Students who have aid administered through the financial aid office, must report to that office any change in income such as: scholarships, gifts, loans, assistantships, or employment from any source.  A student who holds a fellowship, assistantship, or internship may not accept outside employment except with a special permission of the Department Chairperson.

Assistantships are awarded to full-time students based on the needs of the School or Department.  The Department Chair, in consultation with the faculty, selects students with the necessary expertise or potential.  Appointments are made between April and August of each year,  in the beginning  of the  fall semester.  The number of assistantships is totally dependent upon monies available from the University or grants.

  1. Duties:   Each assistant receives a letter detailing specific duties and responsibilities and the person with whom they will work.  Students work 15 hours per week during the course of the academic year.
  2. Benefits:  The stipend received is decided upon by the University and the AAUP in their contract negotiations.  The stipend currently is  approximately $25,000 for first year assistants. You must complete forms and papers to get onto the payroll; see the Business Manager .  In addition to this salary stipend, which is paid biweekly with checks sent to GSAPP or directly to your bank, full time GAs/TAs have other staff benefits.
  3. Registration:   Attach a signed tuition payment card (RT100) to the tuition bill and return all to the Cashier on or before the regularly published dates for payment. You must pay all student fees.
    Students with a partial assistantship register for 12 course credits and 3 credits of assistantship; if working at a practicum plus having a one-day assistantship register for 9 course credits plus 3credits assistantship plus 3credits of professional practicum placement.