Clinical Psychology: Clinical students must adhere to the following guidelines when seeking and accepting practicum placements:
- First-year doctoral students are eligible to commit up to 1 day, or 8 hours, a week to externship or practicum.
- Second-year doctoral students are eligible to commit up to 2 days or 16 hours a week to externship or practicum.
- Third-year doctoral students are eligible to commit up to 2 days or 16 hours a week to externship or practicum.
- Fourth-year doctoral students are eligible to commit up to 3 days or 24 hours a week to externship or practicum.
- Fifth-year doctoral students are eligible to commit up to 3 days or 24 hours a week to externship or practicum.
- Advanced Clinical Psychology students may apply for a waiver of practicum credits for those experiences that have been supervised by licensed, doctoral-level psychologists. Decisions about practicum waivers are made by the coordinator of Practicum Placements. It is strongly urged that students not waive the practicum, as this is the context in which they practice what they learn in the classroom.
- Students will register for .5 Practicum credits (18:820:695) in each Fall and Spring semester in which they are completing a practicum.
School Psychology: Practicum Requirements for school students have 4 components:
- Individual supervision provided by the field supervisor (individual face-to-face contact at least one hour each week as well as review of test reports, materials, observations, jointly conducted activities, etc.).
- Practicum activities on the practicum site require at least one day each week (at least eight hours) for the 15 weeks of each semester.
- Additional flexible time of one half day each week (writing reports, special meetings, preparation, etc.).
- All students engaging in a practicum must be registered for Advanced Supervision.
Advanced School Psychology Students Practicum Waiver Application Form requires detailed information regarding previous supervised experiences, including hard copies of previous course syllabi submitted to School Practicum/Internship Coordinator
- Location and clients served
- Role and title of supervisee
- Dates of activities
- Activities under direct supervision of supervisor and approximate percentage of time given to carrying out these activities
- Average total hours per week devoted to supervised activities
- Hours per week of face-to-face individual supervision provided by supervisor
- Professional level of the student at time.
The total number of supervised hours must be validated by the practicum supervisor.