Students may accept stipends or pay when rendering professional psychological services (as defined by the New Jersey Licensing Law and the associated regulations from the State Board of Psychological Examiners Laws) when such services are provided as part of: (a) a formal practicum placement that has been approved by the student’s department, or (b) a research project (e.g., research assistantship, paid diagnostician).

Outside of these two settings, students may pursue employment that requires the rendering of professional psychological services, but the student must: (a) not represent themselves as Rutgers or GSAPP students during their employment with any outside agency and (b) not professionally misrepresent themselves in accordance with regulations from the New Jersey State Board of Psychological Examiners. As an example, a student who has not yet been conferred a doctorate in psychology shall not represent themselves as a psychologist or a GSAPP student when performing any professional activities. Furthermore, the employing agency should be aware that it assumes all liability for any professional activity conducted by the employee during his or her employ. Employment activities will not be covered under Rutgers or GSAPP liability coverage.

GSAPP does not regulate employment that students procure that does not involve any professional psychological services.

Students who hold a certificate in school psychology may obtain employment as a certified school psychologist.

Being a student at GSAPP supersedes having a master's degree such as an MSW or M.Ed. You may not work in an individual or private practice with one of those degrees while you are a student at GSAPP.